Pages

Monday, April 28, 2008

A Dog of Flanders by Loise de la Ramee


The last time I shed tears because of this story was on a night I was watching tv, peeking through the book whenever there's a commercial. It made me shed tears in the middle of a romance-comedy show! Wow, made me realize how powerfull the story is.


I remember the fist time I watched a cartoon of this book. My brother, sister and me are always anticipating this show in the morning of one summer vacation. All of us are in the elementary grade that time. Crying or shedding tears was a taboo for the three of us else, one would be turtured through their teasing. The show was colorful, but little did we know that it has a tragic ending. But the most unfogetable of it was when all three of us can't stop crying. Well, we could just have turned off the tv but hey, how will we know how did it end! So all egos gone, we watched and fell silent even when the credits are already going up. Normally, we could have just teased one another.


There were older young people in the next house to ours. Only that day did I know they are also watching the show. I overheard their reactions and discussions about it. They also cried!


Second time I encountered this title was when a children's story book was on my palms. I read it and for the second time, I went to sleep crying, waking up the next day with eye bugs. Made one wonder what was my problem that i cried that much, huh....He he he...it was just a children's storybook.


Lately, it was just this April. Watching a Korean telenovela: "Lovers" while reading A Dog of Flanders for the 2nd time. Well, the effect was the same. Made me wonder if other people feel the same way whenever they read or watch about Nello and Patrasche.


I searched the internet and found my answer. Yes, it is really a tear-jerker both for old and young people especially when watched. There was even a website made for it and some video clip in youtube.


Just in case you never heard this children's classic, just click on the links below:









No comments: